-
By Ocean County Historical Society: This book is a reproduction of a book originally prepared for an Ocean County Historical Society Museum exhibition in 2003. The book is presented with color photographs, all of which are part of the Ocean County Historical Society collection. Editing was done to correct typographical errors, but phrasing is faithful to the original. Additional items from the Society’s collection have been added at the end of the publication. -
By Ocean County Historical Society: This reprint of an 1888 brochure contains pictures of the shoreline, the bluff, the railroad bridge. as well as many homes that still exist in the town. The Borough of Island Heights was founded in 1886. It describes the 1888 summer Camp Meeting. Included are a sample program from the meeting along with interesting and amusing advertisements from period merchants and real estate brokers. -
By Ocean County Historical Society: A compilation of facts and personal quotes and remembrances of Elizabeth Sculthorpe Force. She grew up in the house that is now Ocean County Historical Society’s residence. The home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. -
Compiled by Elizabeth Ann Grant: The church and burying ground are located in Lacey Township, Ocean County, New Jersey on the east side of Route 9 in the Murray Grove section of Lanoka Harbor, just north of Forked River. Many of the old settlers in and around Cedar Creek are buried here. The book contains an alphabetical listing of the stones in the cemetery. The list was compiled in June 1970 and includes the older section of the cemetery. There is background information about Good Luck (Potter’s) Churchyard and Cemetery, excerpts from Rose Grover Garthwaite’s Good Luck Settlement, and excerpts from Kobbe’s Jersey Coast and Pines, pages 70-71 (Original printing 1889 Gustave Kobbe). -
By Congregation B’nai Israel of Toms River: The egg farming industry owes much of its development in Toms River to the Jewish community. Jewish families share the stories of their immigration from various locations in the United States and Europe to the town of Toms River. Their many contributions added to the growth of the area. -
By Carolyn M. Campbell, M. Peryl King, Martha T. Smith: The story of one-room schools moves from the mid 1800’s, when schools were in such disrepair that chickarees (squirrels) nested in the walls, to 1943 when the last one-room school was closed. Over 100 photos and maps, interviews with teachers and pupils, and quotations from the time emphasize the changes that have occurred in education during this century. Specific information about the county’s 76 one-room and 8 multiroom schools is given in the directory.